You got me. Those little yellow jewels are actually loquats and not tomatillos. But, this photo is nice anyway, don’t you think?
Nopales y tomatillo
- 2 tbsps vegetable oil
- 1 lb nopales (chopped)
- 1 onions (julienned)
- 1 chile pepper (seeded and chopped)
- 6 tomatillos
- 1 garlic cloves (minced)
- Place a large frying pan on the stove on medium heat and add the vegetable oil. Add the nopal, onion, and salt.
- Cover the pan with a lid and reduce to low heat. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover the pan, turn the heat up to high and cook until the liquid evaporates, about 15 minutes.
- Add the chile pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Liquefy the tomatillos in a food processor or blender, add the onion, garlic, and a bit of the water that the tomato was boiled in.
- Pour the liquefied mixture into the pan and mix everything well. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add a pinch of salt and coriander, and cook for another minute. Serve on a plate.