This past weekend the Members of Yard to Market Co-op held our second Annual Meeting. This year 10 Co-op members and their families met and enjoyed pot luck together in the wonderful community gathering space at Cycleast. Ten may not sound like a lot, but it’s nearly 50% of our total membership; we’re optimistic that we’ll be able to keep that percentage as we grow. For all the members and future members who didn’t make the meeting here are some of the highlights:
- Approved 5 new Ends Policies to guide operational decision-making
- Elected 1 new and 2 returning Directors to the Board
- It has been a year of firsts for the Co-op including first: farmstand, birthday, tax return, and CSA shares.
- We have strong sales at our HOPE Market farmstand, and will focus growth for this year on the CSA/subscription side of our business as well as increasing our offering of discounted garden supplies.
- Yard to Market Co-op’s sales and income from the first quarter of 2015 have already surpassed the entire year of 2014. For real!
- The key to our financial sustainability is welcoming new members.
We enjoyed great beer from our fellow cooperative, Black Star Co-op Pub and Brewery. True to form our gardeners brought incredible home-made dishes to share. Ally won our recipe contest with her ham, broccoli and cheese quiche. There were fabulous door prizes including an automatic water timer, a very fine sharpshooter shovel, and a novelized version of The Three Amigos (yes, really).
All the members of our co-op work hard in their gardens, at the market, in the board room and the office to make our business a real and growing success. It was really great to have a chance to sit together and take stock of our accomplishments and the road ahead. See you at the farmstand!