Yard to Market Co-op
Yard to Market Co-op is seeking a Managing Director to lead our unique micro-scale producer-owned cooperative into its next phase of growth and development. This position offers a person who is passionate about local food a challenging opportunity to lead a small sustainability-focused agricultural business that is well positioned for exponential growth and impact on our region’s food system. We’re looking for someone with an exceptional ability to inspire and build a collaborative, innovative organizational culture where teamwork is the norm and areas of expertise are respected and leveraged.
Part Time, some weekends required. Opportunity to grow to full time position as business grows.
Compensation: Competitive hourly rate with opportunity to move to salaried as business grows.
Reports to: Board of Directors
Overall Responsibility: Create systems and execute planning to grow a thriving cooperative of small-scale local food producers.
Application Deadline: August 25, 2017
- Non-Profit or Cooperative experience: Three+ years of non-profit or co-op engagement. Experience working with or on a Board of Directors; understanding of Governance. Experience working with specifically Policy Governance™ a plus.
- Leadership & Management: Five+ years of leadership experience, with proven skills in organizational development and leadership, financial and operational management, strategic thinking, setting and achieving goals, mentoring and developing staff.
- Development: Strong ability to communicate the Yard to Market Co-op vision and obtain buy-in with granting institutions, donors and business community partners.
- Financial Management: Demonstrated experience with budget creation and management, as well as with controlling and protecting all assets of the organization.
- Local Food System Knowledge: Some Gardening or Farming experience desired.
- Ensure an effective application and intake process is in place for all new and prospective co-op members
- Maintain communication and engagement with existing members through regular events, newsletters, and a presence at weekend farmers’ markets
- Provide data, analysis and resources through a regular reporting schedule to ensure effective Board oversight of operational performance
Annual Budgeting and Financial Monitoring
- Create annual Budget and financial analysis
- Ensure compliance with all applicable rules, laws and regulations
- Work closely with the Board of Directors to engage in long-term strategic planning and regular performance monitoring
Staff Hiring and Management
- Ensure that all paid and volunteer positions are staffed appropriately
- Ensure that staff members and volunteers are trained and receive regular feedback on performance
- Create opportunities for staff training and enrichment.
- Ensure that all appropriate policies are in place to manage staff
- Identify and pursue fiscally responsible funding opportunities such as grants, loans and other support
- Work to identify and eliminate gaps in organizational capacity
- Work to improve name and brand recognition for the co-op
About the Co-op
Yard to Market Co-op is a producer-owned cooperative founded in 2013 with the vision that every producer should have an opportunity to grow our local food system. The Co-op’s members are a mix of market gardeners and small-scale farmers who grow vegetables, fruit, nuts and eggs. Our members share the work of selling their produce through our farmstands under the leadership of a paid Farmstand Coordinator who is also a member of the co-op. The members democratically govern the business through an elected Board of Directors and participate in policy decisions directly as they arise. It’s our mission to empower sustainable producers of local food with marketing, sales and distribution services. We operate in accordance with the cooperative principles adopted by the 1995 General Assembly of the International Co-operative Alliance.
How to Apply
Interested Applicants should send a cover letter and resume to the Board of Directors via email. firstname.lastname@example.org